Advertise your properites through largest network in Montenegro - click here for more information!
Newsletter

Receive new property offers directly in your emal. When you don't want to receive it anymore sign out with one click.

 

Tivat - Montenegro Cultural and historic monuments


Buca Summer House. This building is located in the centre of Tivat. The complex is a harmonious renaissance unit with a few late-Gothic details. It consists of five buildings: living quarters, commercial premises, a little church - a chapel dedicated to St. Mihovil, then the porch -the multipurpose entrance. All the buildings are encompassed by a wall. This revitalised monument has been given a new purpose: living quarters have been turned into a gallery, and the garden into an open-air theatre.

Archaeological Sites

 

Mala Gruda. This is the most significant and the most representative among the tumuli discovered on the Tivat plain. It dates back to the early Bronze Age, a period between 1900 and 1800 B.C. Many valuable objects were found in this tomb: a golden dagger, a silver axe, golden decorations for diadems, etc.
Prevlaka of Holy Archangel Michael (Ostrvo cvijeca - Island of Flowers). Some ancient mosaics have been found here.The excavations are still in progress, as well as the excavation of the Holy Archangel Michael's Monastery from mediaeval times.

 

Monasteries - Churches

 

The Holy Archangel Michael's Monastery. On the Prevlaka Peninsula there are the remnants of the Holy Archangel Michael's Monastery that marked one of the most significant periods in the life of this area - from the 9th to 14th centuries. Originally a Benedictine monastery was probably located on this site, and as of mid-13th century, St. Sava established the Bishopric of the Zeta Metropolitan here at Prevlaka. The Venetians destroyed the monastery in 1452. There are still some remains of the monastery which was 21 m long and 12.5m wide. In the vicinity of the church to the east the Holy Trinity Church was built in the 19th century by Countess Ekaterina Vlastelinovic. This is one of the most significant natural and cultural-historic units.
Our Lady of Grace Island. It is located between the coast of Krtoli and the Island of Sveti Marko. The diameter of the island is barely 200 m, one half of which is covered by the complex of the monastery dedicated to Our Lady of Grace. It is not known when the earliest church building was built on the island. By the end of 19th century, the island became the residence of Kotor bishops. Today the monastery is in the possession of the Jesuit Order.

The monastery church wa; restored by the Kotor bishop, Frano Ucellini-Tice.
As for movable heritage, the wooden statue of Our Lady of Grace, praised as being miraculous is worth mentioning.
St Lucas's Church. It was built on the flat plateau of the hill above the village of Gosici. It is presumed that there previously used to be an lllyrian hill-fort here. Written sources mention that there used to be a Benedictine monastery here in the mid-14th century. It is certain that at the site of today's church there used to be an older building which was rebuilt and then destroyed in 1776.
Until the mid-19th century it was decorated with frescoes. As for movable heritage there is a chasuble (clergy's robes) richly adorned with golden embroidery, a gift from Petar IPetrovic.
The Church of Our Lady. It is located in the centre of the Radovici village in Krtoli and was built in 1843, although there were mentions of it dating back from 1594 and 1605. Probably they refer to an older temple that used to exist there. The church has a large belfry at the front, with a large clock dial in its centre.
The two churches of St. John's in Bogisici. In the older church, both Orthodox and Catholic priests used to hold services. Some remains of mediaeval frescoes were discovered inside these two churches which have adjacent fences.
St. Peter's Church. It is located on top of Gradac Hill in the village of Bogdasici some4 km awayfromTivat. It is believed that originally there used to be a Benedictine Abbey here. An inscription written in the Old Church Slavonic mentions that this temple was built at the time of the Zeta Metropolitan Neofit (1268 - 1269).
Although greatly damaged, the frescoes belong among the best works of art of the 13th century.
The composition, the Descent of Holy Spirit on the Apostles is located on the dome.

The Church ofSts. Srd, Nikola and Dimitrije. It is located within the group of some dozen houses at Burdevo brdo above Tivat. St. Srd's Church was built in the first half of the 9th century. The Church of Sts. Srd, Nikola and Dimitrije is an important cultural and historic monument, and together with the settlement in its immediate vicinity makes an important urban unit.
St Antun's Church. It is located in Kaliman within the summerhouse of the Pima-Pasquali family. It is one of the smallest in size, but not in importance. On the arch of the belfry an inscription is visible which dates back to 1373, and which mentions King Tvrtko I. The interior of the church was covered in frescoes, which have been greatly damaged due to moisture. On the walls to the left and to the right there were 14 coats-of-arms of Kotor noble families on each side in three rows.
The Church of St. Anthony of Padua. This was built in 1734.Together with the parish office and the paved front yard, it makes a unit which is the social centre of Tripovici. The hill where it is located renders a beautiful view of the whole western part of the bay. The church houses the painting of St. Peter and St. Paul, a work by the Italian painter Francesco. The additional altar was built in honour of Our Lady of the Rosary.
The Church of St. Mihovil. This is located in Tivat next to the castle and tower of the Buca Family. The church is located at the basis of the once monumental access to the castle which used to have 130 stone pillars.
St. Mary's Church. It is located in Gornja Lastva. It was built in 15th century. It is placed on a visible spot overlooking the valley in which Gornja Lastva is located.
St. Vid's Church. It is located above Gornja Lastva at St. Vid's Hill at an altitude of 440 m which is the most prominent point of Vrmac towards Verige. The church is mentioned in 1327, but judging by its position and the manner of construction it may be concluded that it was built earlier, possibly even in Byzantine times.
Our Lady of Angels. It is located on a rock on a promontory of the Verige Strait. It was first mentioned in 1585, but was probably built earlier. The church is surrounded by a defence wall with a loophole. It used to serve as a fortress and as a guard-house to overlook the passage through Verige.
This church is known by its popular name Our Lady of Orizo (in Italian, sorrizo = a smile), that would light up the faces of our sailors when returning home.
St. Rocco's Church. This church is located in Donja Lastva on the verge of the sea. It was built in 1901 together with its belfry. The church has an interesting icon of St Tryphon made by the famous Greek icon painter llija Moskos. The church also has the altarpiece of St. Rocco done by Mihail Florio from Prcanj.
St. Sava's Church. It is located in the town centre. Its construction began in 1938, and was completed in 1967.


Tivat - Montenegro web site belongs to largest real estate and tourism network of web sites in Montenegro, with newly, daily updated property listings from Tivat and throughout Montenegro. If you are interested it advertising your offers through this network click here for more informations.